With all the year in review items in the news I decided I just couldn’t let the year end with out our own review of the year at the zoo.
But first I must review Christmas. Although it didn’t really resemble anything like the Christmas I was planning back in September (with lots of handmade gifts and baking and decorating), it was still nice none the less. Prolonged morning sickness will do that to a girl.
Best Christmas gifts of 2008:
- Little Monkey’s most loved gift: any of the presents that had wheels!
- Young Owl’s most desired gift: the much awaited Batcave!
- Papa Penguin’s most enjoyable gift: the entertaining Nintendo DS!
- Mama Zookeeper’s most beloved gift: a beautiful neckless from her favorite designer Lisa Leonard!
Now back to the year in review.
Things that made us feel that the boys are growing up too quickly:
- Young Owl loosing his first tooth then a second.
- Little Monkey mastering potty training and speaking in greater depth.
Top political quotes uttered by the children:
- After taking Young Owl to an Obama rally: MZ – “What are you going to tell your teacher about what you saw tonight?” YO – “We don’t like John McCain’s policies.”
- While watching the news Little Monkey see Obama setting out a wreath at a Veteran’s Day service – “Look mommy, Obama finally got his present!”
Bug of the year:
This is just one of about 2 dozen that we found over the summer. Thanks to much internet searching by a wonderful aunt we learned that this is a tussock moth!
Most delicious family outing:
We were fortunate to find a brand new local berry patch. The strawberries were the best we’ve ever had and we will definitely try to make this a yearly event. Unfortunately we didn’t make it to either of our favorite apple orchards this year. We will definitely have it on the list of family events for 2009!
Best news of 2008:
- Little Monkey’s eyes are fine. After much unnecessary worrying we had his eyes checked and where told he has great sight.
- Young Owl made leaps in his reading. Thanks to his hard work with his auntie, he is well ahead of where he needs to be.
- The zoo is expanding. We are so blessed to be expecting again and are looking forward to meeting our new little one in 2009.
What we’re looking forward to in 2009:
- New baby! Seriously for all the suffering this child is causing me, we are truly excited and I’m looking forward to holding the baby in my arms.
- A new home? Okay we have tried this song and dance many times before but this time we really need to get out of this small place otherwise the baby is going to have to sleep in the living room.
- Another blog. Crazy becuase I haven’t really been updating all that frequently here but I am also working on a food blog. I’ll give everyone a link when I get a post up.
- Tons new of family memories! From outings as a family to art projects with the boys. You never know what new memories we’ll be making in 2009.
So until then, please have a safe, healthy and happy new year.
With love from the zoo